Malin Head The circuit of Malin will take you past the Radio Station; built in 1910, and round the coast to Banba’s crown, the most northerly tip of Ireland. “The Tower” was built in 1905 and used as a Lloyds Signal Station. Natural attractions along the cliff edge include a spectacular subterranean cavern know as “Hell’s Hole” and natural arch call the “Devils Bridge”. On a good day the Scottish coast line and nearby Inishrahall Island are visible. at the same time reflect the Christian traditions with biblical reference and also the older Celtic art of interlacing patterns. This suggests again the success achieved in converting the Irish from a Druid based religion to Christianity.
Glenevin Waterfall This stunning waterfall, wedge in shape, cascades fresh mountain water descending over black rock from an astounding height of 30 feet. Designated car park, walkway and picnic area are provided.
St. Mura's Cross The site of the ancient Abbey of St. Mura lies in Fahan Village. This monastery flourished during seventh century. The most interesting object from this
period is the cross of St. Mura which is supposed to mark his grave 654A.D.
Burt Castle This castle, which was one of the Clan O'Dochertaigh's strongholds in Inishowen, is one of the best known of all our castles lying as it does near the main Derry to Letterkenny road. While you can get quite close to this ancient fortress by taking one of the side-roads off the main road, it in fact lies on private land. This castle was built in the 16th Century during the reign of Henry VIII. This was established when a medallion dated 1525 and a coin dated 1547 were found close by the building.
Bocan Stone Circle This is an impressive and evocative monument situated on pasture land near St. Mary's Church Bocan just outside Culdaff. With a diameter of 65- 75 feet, consisting possibly of 30 stones originally, the surviving orthostats are fine specimens up to six feet high.
The Temple of Deen A fine and well preserved megalithic monument, sometimes called the Laraghill Cairn lies on the opposite side of the road to the Bocan Stone Circle at the top Hill of Deen. There are twenty large stones remaining at the forecourt and the first chambers are well preserved.
La Trinidad Valencera It was just off Kinnego Bay in 1970/7 that divers found the Spanish Armed Transporter, La Trinidad Valencera, a 1,100 ton wooden ship, which, badly damaged in a storm, had limped into anchor offshore on September 14th 1588 and sank two days later. Many artefacts have been recovered from this vessel and can be seen in the Tower Museum in Derry.
Grianan of Aileach The Grianan Aileach Stone Fort is built on the site of the original 1700BC ringfort. High on a hilltop 800 feet above sea level, the ancient fort looks out over the beautiful waters of Lough Swilly, providing breathtaking views of Inch Island below, and an excellent panorama of Counties Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Antrim.
Knockamaney Bens The Lagg road to Malin Head takes the visitor along the shores of Trawbreaga Bay. The Bay is an area of regional ornithological importance and has been declared a wildlife sanctuary. The road rises sharply following the coastline around the Knockamany Bens with magnificent views of Trawbreaga Bay from the car park. On a clear day Tory Island can be seen to the west.
Europe's Largest Sand Dunes To the north lies the fine sandy beach known as the "Five Fingers" backed by some of the highest sand dunes in
Europe. The sand dunes probably began to form in their present position about 5000 years ago. The tough marram grass grows best when sand is blown on top of it and here great sandhills up to 30 metres high have been built up by the action and wind blowing sand from the beach and into the marram.
Northburg Castle Travelling in a north-eastern direction is the village of Greencastle, with the much ruined but still impressive structure “Northburg Castle”. Built by Richard de Burgh, the Red Earl of Ulster in 1305 on a prominent rock, close to the shore, this awesome building utilised the advanced construction techniques of the Normans and the remarkable use of the natural rock to build a fortress intended to prevent attacks from Scotland and to act as a staging post for the final assault on the heartlands of Gaelic Ulster.
10 km south of Buncrana, access to the Reserve is by turning left at St. Mary's Hall, Burt, on main Derry to Letterkenny Road. The Reserve is one of the most important wetlands of the North West of Ireland with an international ecological status. It is the permanent home of the mute swan and plays temporary host to the Whooper and Bedwick Swans. Following an investment of €65k by the Donegal County Council woodland trails with educational and tourism interpretative panels and picnic benches has been developed. The development has seen the construction of 8km of walkways on lines around the perimeter of Inch Lake and upgrading to improve access to the site